How Good Health Supports Happiness
Regularly taking the wonder drug — which includes some physical exercise, adequate sleep, a moderate natural diet, and five hugs a day — can add years to your life and life to your years!
Dr. Tal Ben Shahar
I’m on a mission to uncover the secrets to finding happiness and living each day with a positive intention. Being healthy — mentally and physically — plays a significant role in happiness. When we have good health, we often take it for granted. But as we age, it becomes more valued and appreciated to monitor our health and take care of our bodies and minds. We all have friends and relatives that have “lost it,” either physically or mentally, and cannot remain active in their professional and personal lives. What can we do to lessen our chances of that happening to us while we are still young, healthy, viable adults in the prime of our lives?
In addition to following Dr. Ben Shahar’s advice above, let’s look at the research. Studies have identified seven areas around the world where people stay healthy and active into their 80s and 90s. They are called the Blue Zones. They are spread around the world, including one in the United States, Loma Linda, CA. What is their secret, and what can we learn from them?
- Possess a strong sense of purpose
- Enjoy meaningful friendships
- Make sleep a priority
- Exercise regularly
- Eat a healthy natural diet
- Live close to nature and have an appreciation of it.
While learning about the Blue Zones is fascinating and they can sound so idyllic, only 20,000 people live in Loma Linda. What can we do TODAY that will improve our lives, health, and happiness?
- Find purpose, particularly in your career. You work way too many hours not to love what you do.
- Develop authentic friendships with women you can count on to have your back at work.
- Make sleep a priority. It affects your energy, attitude, and concentration. And it is necessary if you want that promotion.
- Exercise required. You know it — enough said.
- Eat natural foods and avoid processed and fast food if possible.
- In a city, it may feel as though you’re not able to access nature, but you can slow down and appreciate the environment around you, like taking in incredible sunsets and walks through local parks or gardens.
You’ve only got one life — make sure yours is happy and healthy!